Wednesday 13 February 2013

12th December 1941:Defense?

I am actually a worry-wart since it's from my family blood. One rumor really concerns me; it makes me feel anxious. They said:
"The British had decided to build military airfields in Tengah and Sembawang. The Japanese are planning to attack Singapore and the British are planning to defend mostly from the north. They ordered the roads and some areas to be heavily guarded. Hence, Singapore is a strong fortress."
 (Air bases in Tengah and Sembawang)


But what about the bombings from three days ago? Is this all a prank being pulled by the Japanese? They treat this as a small threat! Sometimes, I even wonder if they took little notes for the citizens. I cannot seem to see that they are helping much on the citizens living here. Yet, they do supply quite fairly to them.

I decided to take a journey to the north for leisure. But it is a surprise to see  that some areas were owned by the Japanese. There was a fishing fleet not to far away from the Japanese-owned areas. Suspicious, I say.  If the Japanese were against us, why would they... Oh, right. They need to set up their own stuff first before they attack us. That made quite a lot of sense.

(Fishing fleet owned by the Japanese)

(The land owned by the Japanese)

As I was returning home, a Japanese man came up to me and asked what do I think of the coastal areas. But I chose not to reply him. This is sort of a sudden and unexpected questions by foreign interviewers. As I stare at the bridge connecting Singapore to Malaya, I could see a big flock, more like an army, of soldiers on bicycles coming from Malaya.



I came home before night came. Good heavens! I would have been kicked by bicycles if I had not left sooner. My brother is involve in the military services; an authority also. He just came home right after me. He has black shadings on his face and some scratches on his arms. He flopped down on the sofa as groaned in tiredness. I asked him what happened. He replied me with a smothered look, "Some Japanese fighter planes, called as 'Zero', started attacking. We tried to defend but... Unfortunately half of our planes were destroyed." he sighed. "Why don't they engineer a new and stronger planes?"

Reference:
Curriculum Planning & Development Division   Ministry Of Education Singapore . SINGAPORE FROM SETTLEMENT TO NATION PRE 1819-1971. Singapore . Marshall Cavendish

Sources:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiY8pjytfqvNxlx-T1SW4EYpOozGXEtQGnC3JlxYOr2SSYlf8NcGu4KaoSCZw_xOTsHpC6nacFBjwDOVB7W4RZmyQZG_e-oC6zvKHjmdIIQ5wmU5OKDwl__46oziPLb6n3G9SaZgjRU1hK1/s320/Japanese+troops+advancing+on+bicycles,+Malaya,+circa+Dec+1941-Feb+1942.jpg

Google Images

Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment