Tuesday 12 February 2013

8th December 1941: An uninvited guest

It was a good sleep I would tell you. But there was a sudden explosion that woke us up. I ran outside of our little mansion and saw warplanes flying over the area. Multiple strokes of whistles, declaring a bomb falling, filled the atmosphere. There were shouts of an unknown language and some locals were screaming and running away.
Japanese men searching around the neighborhood

Fighter planes from Japan


I scrambled back to my house and called the household to hide. We hid at the lower level of the house, at the lobby. Bombs and crashes. Screams. We were deathly afraid.

The Japanese invasion in China from 4 years ago -1937- was still fresh on my mind. I am afraid that the Japanese would do the same from what they have done in Nanking, China (Nanjing  南京).The Japanese army had killed thousands and thousands of people. Oh how I prayed that it would not happen.

If you want to know about the Nanking massacre during 1937, I will provide you a video. (Note: There is no subtitles or English translations provided)

A film about the massacre:
Part 1

References:
Curriculum Planning & Development Division   Ministry Of Education Singapore . SINGAPORE FROM SETTLEMENT TO NATION PRE 1819-1971. Singapore . Marshall Cavendish

Sources:
 Youtube from Konda
Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment