Wednesday 13 February 2013

The Battle at the Start of 1942

The year passed by so quickly. It is now 14th of February, 1942. My brother and some cousins came home at sunset. They were part of the defense. They left a month ago to undergo training and to take part to defend against the Japanese. My sisters and other relatives helped out on their needs and help. As I cleansed their scars, they told me how did the war go.

The plans were not really good. The generals had commanded us not to go to Sultan Ibrahim's territory nor attack. We were positioned at the northwest to defend the area from the Japanese. But I think we have been tricked here... We were, then, sent to the northeast part. On what I heard from the report by the general, he stated that the Japanese troops had crossed the Johor straits. 
I cringed when they mentioned that they were tricked by the Japanese. Could it be true? I sighed. I continued to listen.

 The authorities commanded us to withdraw IF necessary. Just to protect the town center. Then, confusion were just around us. We withdrew and let the Japanese take that big chance and attacked again. After two days, we engaged battle with the Japanese troops at Bukit Timah Hill. But we... lost. We were forced out, leaving our rest of the supplies there.




One of my cousins, interfered the story. He first yelped at the pain and huffed some air then continued.
My friends were killed from the battle at Pasir Panjang. They lacked sleep and they were exhausted but still fought. Which results another fail to protect the area. We are still waiting if we need to go back or just surrender to the Japanese. He gave us just this two days to rest. As he will decide whether, let's just give up or not.
(Many soldiers had died after the battle)


As I listen to these accounts, I felt that we were, indeed, losing hope. I cannot comprehend much but what I know is that there is a big possibility that we would be occupied in a short time.

Reference:
Curriculum Planning & Development Division   Ministry Of Education Singapore . SINGAPORE FROM SETTLEMENT TO NATION PRE 1819-1971. Singapore . Marshall Cavendish

Sources:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXNtQI70sjXaeCwPPkZQmP4cmZq7Fc-EQsoH5d_J46wT14azau

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Japanesetroops.jpg

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific091.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1305841510

No comments:

Post a Comment